Monday, October 19, 2009

Work?

Either you just jumped out of Hell week, or you are going to be sucked into Hell week.

Life is fast paced, indeed, especially with the coming of multiple midterms, projects, and everything else we DO here. I won't argue that they are unnecessary, but at times, thinking about things to DO is hard enough.

Why do we pack our lives with endless tasks to DO, endless worries to bear? Why do we stuff ourselves with ambitions that drive us insane? And why do we bear this busyness with apathy of our true purpose?

I may be wrong, or I may just be that lazy bum who does not enjoy having a good "work-ethic". But what are we working for, what are we working towards? The stability of having a job after college? The beautiful looking BMW M6? The luxurious pentahouse + personal studio? I guess they probably add up to personal collection or simply self-esteem, but are they seriously that valuable in life? Are they going to be the images floating in our head before we leave this world? I hope the answer is no.

Truth be told, I like being busy too. It makes me feel accomplished. I like to be well-off in some sense. It makes life MUCH easier. However, ultimately, because of the numerous twists & turns in our lives, we are always always going to be busy, always always going to be chasing after something better, something higher, and something richer - if we don't know how to stop or when to stop. Few of us will stop.

In turn, our busyness and our "work" become endless greed.

I considered about taking on more responsibilities in the future or joining a few more clubs, simply for the sake of being busy, but...nope. I rather live my life in joy.

We DO too much for that extra $30,000 in future salary. I rather live my way with $25,000 a year than my head on fire with $150,000 a year.

I'm an extremist, a cynic, and perhaps a little crazy.
Rebuke me if you may, maybe you can tell me that I need a different mentality.

2 comments:

  1. it depends on our definition of rich and how content/satisfied we can be.

    i'm going to work my hardest in what opportunities God has provided. not more, and not less. if i know that i've done all He's set for me to, i will be satisfied and content.

    that reads like i want to do all there is in front of me in this world. but i think God helps us distinguish between what our tasks are and what our greed is. uncertainty/hesitation in our actions is certainly one method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello yueeeee! i didn't know you had a blog. what does the title of your blog mean?

    i like what christine said in her second "paragraph" and this is what i would have said in reply :)

    ReplyDelete